Black Licorice Blamed for Man's Death

A Massachusetts construction worker died and doctors believe it's because he ate too much black licorice.

According to "People," the 54-year-old man used to eat a bag and a half of black licorice every date for weeks before his death.

Doctors say ingredients in black licorice (glycyrrhizic acid) can throw your nutrients out of balance. Even a small amount can increase your blood pressure just a little bit.

The acid can cause your potassium levels to fall and that can trigger abnormal heart rhythms.

The FDA says anyone over 40 eating two ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could cause irregular heart rhythms.

Image courtesy Getty

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content