Texas Man Dies After Swimming With New Tattoo

Authorities say a man in Dallas made a deadly mistake before taking a beach trip -- he got a new tattoo. 

According to an article in BMJ Case Reports, a 31-year-old man died after the bacteria vibrio vulnificus entered his body through a new leg tattoo.

The report says the man got the new ink five days before swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, where vibrio vulnificus can be found in high levels during the summer months.

Treating physicians say the man arrived at the hospital three days after water exposure with extreme pain in his leg. Within hours, the area became discolored, bruised and blistered. 

Hendren's report says the man had chronic liver disease and told them he drank six beers a day. 

Those with a weakened immune system, a liver disease/condition or an iron-related disorder are especially vulnerable to serious bacterial infection. Most cases, however, are mild and come from consuming raw oysters.

Reports say the man was extubated on the 18th day of admission and began aggressive rehabilitation. However, his status deteriorated, ultimately leading to his death due to various complications, renal failure and necrotic skin lesions approximately two months after admission.

Dallas tattoo artist Caleb Barnard did not know the victim, but he says the incident should serve as a reminder about tattoo safety.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content