IMPACT WEEK PRESENTED BY ULTIMATE SOFTWARE (AUG. 28–SEP. 2) MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUTH FLORIDA COMMUNITY, WITH A FOCUS ON WELLNESS, EMPOWERMENT, AND YOUTH BASEBALL & SOFTBALL
MIAMI – Impact Week presented by Ultimate Software returns for the second year on Friday, August 28, and will feature six community events culminating on Wednesday, September 2, highlighting programs in the areas of Wellness, Empowerment, and Youth Baseball & Softball. This year, due to the current health and safety regulations, Impact Week presented by Ultimate Software will primarily consist of virtual activities.
Below please find a detailed overview of the scheduled events:
- Friday, August 28:Jackie Robinson Read Aloud (Empowerment)
- In celebration of Jackie Robinson Day, Marlins alumnus Juan Pierre will host a virtual read aloud of Jackie Robinson: American Hero with children from Big Brothers Big Sisters Miami. Each child as well as all 3rd graders at the four Miami Marlins Foundation Slugger Schoolhouses will receive a copy of the book. An additional copy of the book will be available at each school’s library.
- Saturday, August 29:Drive-Thru Distribution at Marlins Park (Wellness)
- The Miami Marlins Foundation will host a drive-thru food distribution in partnership with Feeding South Florida from 1-3 p.m. at Marlins Park, serving approximately 500 families. Marlins alumnus Álex González will join volunteers in distributing prepared bags of fresh meals and/or non-perishable items.
- Sunday, August 30:Virtual 5K (Wellness)
- The Virtual 5K is a safe, fun way to stay active and raise money for a great cause. Registration is open at Marlins.com/5K, which includes an Essential Performance Impact Week race shirt, race medal, Marlins-branded cooling headband, and Miami Marlins Foundation branded face cover. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Miami Marlins Foundation programs, including scholarships, school supply distributions, food distributions and mental wellness programs.
- Monday, August 31:Packing Back to School Supplies (Empowerment)
- The Miami Marlins are partnering with Kiwanis of Little Havana Foundation to individually package bags of school supplies for back to school distributions at Miami-Dade County Public Schools, thanks to the support of Ultimate Software. The prepared bags will then be delivered to schools the week of August 31. Marlins alumnus Charles Johnson will join volunteers in packing bags of school supplies.
- Tuesday, September 1:Baseball Fundamental Tips (Youth Baseball & Softball)
- Marlins alumnus Gaby Sanchez will lead an instructional virtual lesson on fundamentals of the game for youth. In addition, the Miami Marlins Foundation is partnering with Good Sports to provide more than 1,000 students an at-home baseball/softball Play Pack for the youth to further the development of their skills. The kit includes a Marlins-branded drawstring bag, a jump rope, plastic ball and bat set, and practice jersey.
- Wednesday, September 2:Eye Exams (Empowerment)
- In partnership with Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, the Miami Marlins will offer comprehensive eye exams for students at three Miami-Dade County Public Schools – Charles Drew K-8 Center, Lenora B. Smith Elementary and Poinciana Park Elementary. The eye exams will take place as soon as schools re-open for in-person learning.
The Miami Marlins Foundation utilizes the power of baseball and the support of the Miami Marlins to run and fund programs that enable our community to thrive.
For more information on the Impact Week presented by Ultimate Software, please visit Marlins.com/Impact.