The Florida Department of Health reported 7,939 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the highest single day total since February 11th. Also reported, over 4 million Floridians have now completed their vaccine series based on the most recent Vaccine Report. A near 6.8 million Floridians have received at least a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
The Florida legislature passed the legislation to Governor DeSantis requiring online retailers to collect sales tax for purchases. Florida’s current law mandates sales tax collection, however, if a retailer doesn’t collect sales tax, those making the purchases are supposed to pay the tax to the state which almost never happens. The legislation is revenue neutral as the increased revenue will be directed toward Florida’s unemployment compensation fund and to reduce Florida only business rent taxes.
Also, Governor DeSantis’s proposed Resilient Florida plan passed the legislature on back of a unanimous vote in both bodies of the state legislature. The plan includes:
- Creation of a grant program funded at $100 million per year which would fund “resilience” planning outlined by local governments.
- Would task Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection with guidelines for eligibility and oversight of the state’s resilience program in addition to the creation of a statewide recommended plan for addressing sea-level rise.
- All plans would have to be updated annually based on current conditions and new information.
- The creation of a Florida Flood Hub for Applied Research within the University of South Florida’s Marine Science Center.
- Mandating that Florida’s Office of Economic and Demographic Research use the available annual reporting information in its planning and reporting (which is used for budget purposes).
Photo by: Joe Raedle/Getty Images