Miami Beach is going to be the center attraction for plenty of tourists, residents, and police this holiday weekend.
Urban Beach week kicks off Friday, bringing with it massive crowds, as well as an increased police presence.
Cops have set up closures, DUI checkpoints, and even license plate scanners to keep the peace.
Miami Beach Sergeant Bobby Hernandez recommends if you drive to use parking lots and Valet service.
"We try to do our best, we balance those three areas: visitors, residents, and business owners the best that we can to make sure that everybody's goals are met."
Street parking is closed off, and Ocean Drive is closed for pedestrians only.
The roadways are expected to reopen again Tuesday morning at 7 A-M.
Below is a list of just some of the closures taking place:
- Ocean Drive will be closed to vehicular traffic Friday, May 23, 7:00 a.m. through Tuesday, May 27, 7:00 a.m. Some access to the east/west streets (100 and 200 blocks) between Washington Avenue and Ocean Drive, 6 to 15 streets, will also be restricted. Local residents with the proper zoned decals will be allowed to enter.
- Collins Avenue will be one-way northbound nightly 7:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. (Friday – Monday). No street parking will be allowed on Collins Avenue between 5 and 15 streets as those lanes will be used to extended pedestrian pathways. Valet operations will also be moved – check with the hotel for location.
- Washington Avenue will be one-way southbound nightly 7:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. (Friday – Monday). Access to east/west streets between 5 and 17 streets will be restricted.
- Alleys must be maintained clear of vehicles at all times and will be strictly enforced.
- Causeways: DUI Checkpoint: 7:00 p.m. Friday to 5:00 a.m. Saturday. DUI saturation throughout the weekend. License plate readers nightly.
For a full list of closures, click here.
(Photo: Joe Raedle / 2009 Getty Images)