A tragic pool death leads to some changes in Miami-Dade County.


A land use committee made of of Miami-Dade County commissioners unanimously approves an ordinance to set the maximum voltage for new residential pool lights at 15 volts, which is not enough to kill.


Seven-year-old Calder Sloan died when he was electrocuted in his family's pool in North Miami.


The family blames a malfunctioning pool light.


The ordinance must still go before the full commission for a vote.


Existing pools would be grandfathered in under the current rules.


However, commissioners added to the proposed ordinance a provision that would waive county permitting fees for residents who want to retrofit existing pool lights.


Sloan's father, Chris Sloan, spoke to commissioners at Thursday's meeting, and said he was pleased his son's death would potentially help save lives.