South Florida is home to one of the best public beaches in the country.
Florida International University's Stephen Leatherman, AKA "Dr. Beach", has named Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne #7 in his annual Top 10 list.
Bonita Springs' Barefoot Beach is #2.
#1 is the blond sand by the Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
Leatherman whittles down more than 600 beaches to come up with the Top 10.
"Dr. Beach's" Top 10
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
- Barefoot Beach Bonita Springs, Florida
- St. George Island State Park, St. George Island, Florida
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
- Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida